Monday, November 3, 2008

Back to work day

Had Sunday off and stayed around Houston. I talked to the family using the web cam for about an hour and that was great. It's hard being away.

We always get to the DRC early (because people are waiting) and stay late (until everyone is gone). We don't have to, but Jim, the DRC director, asked that we do this to provide the service that people need. He repays us with donuts.

So, today I got stuck in a huge traffic jam. I decided to get off I45 and go through a McDonald's drive thru. Went through and got back onto I45 RIGHT BEHIND THE SAME CAR! No joke. My commute (that usually takes about an hour), took almost 2. As if that wasn't bad enough, when I get there (still 10 minutes before the DRC opens), this "new" guy from the state of Texas tells me I'm late, and wants me to sign some form. I took a breath and asked him who he was. He said he was the state manager and I need to sign the form. He said he is there to make sure we all are working when we're supposed to. He also said I have to tell him when I'm on break and need to sign out when I leave the general area of the DRC (we're upstairs in the government building). At this point I looked for Jim and told him about this. (This guy also went to the other federal agencies and told them the same thing). Fortunately, Jim is from Montana, and is not easily flustered. He checked with FEMA and asked us to check with our agencies about who this guy is and if he has any jurisdiction over the work we do. Long story short. No. This guy has no jurisdiction and from what I hears got a call from the Governors office to let the federal people alone. I don't suspect he'll stay around long. I'm glad I didn't lose my cool and "go union" on this guy. Lord knows I wanted to. But who knows what the IRS people will do. :-)

I tell this story to illustrate the chaos that sometimes exists regarding this whole operation. FEMA and feds take the blame from everyone, but can't do it's job because the state and localities won't do theirs. Political infighting slows the process. In the end, it all works out, but you get my drift.

Referred at least 20 families today. My connections with the faith based organizations (normally called churches) is very good. They are womderful at helping connect people with places. Pray for us though. We got word today that the available housing has moved at least 20 miles from Galveston (they're all full). There are still thousands on the Island that need assistance and who knows where we will have to send them. We also learned that approx 160 thousand persons (most from the area I'm in) have asked for help. Huge task...are we up to it? We'll see.

Don't forget to VOTE.

No comments: