Thursday, October 23, 2008

Very moving day

The people we saw today had stories that moved me to tears (but after they left). I can't imagine losing everything and having to be at the "mercy" of others. The great thing is that we are giving them hope. Hope that will allow them to start again, or anew. Money is fleeting though. everyone gets money help. I feel that that biggest thing we are giving is a listening ear, and compassion. I tell them that I have nothing to compare with what they are going through, and they actually smile about that. You don't live in "Hurricane alley" was one response. In addition to all the bad, most of the people we see still have a sense of humor about it all and will not feel sorry for themselves. They just want to move on.

We also had a bit of excitement, as one of the refineries had a pretty big fire (but from the locals told us, it happens all the time). Gas here is $2.39 for Super!

On a positive note. We found out today the DRC's will be closed on Sunday's. I volunteered to work, if needed, but look forward to being able to go to church. One of the other DRC workers from the state of Texas invited me to his church and I told him I would be glad to go.

I'm pooped. The hours are long, the work drains you, but it's great to make a difference in someone's life. Tomorrow is new, the people are expecting, and thankfully, we will be there to answer the call.

Out!

1 comment:

noie83 said...

wow tim, im so proud of you for going to help!