Today we had a constant stream of people, but it wasn't too busy. The local mayor came in and agreed to get the word out to his city that we are here. We share the room with early voters. Many of them are surprised to see us and end up staying to talk. In the late morning, the local highway workers and police put up large signs all over Bayou Vista about the DRC. By 5:00, we were very busy. We are open tomorrow for a full shift and I believe it's going to be crazy. I was surprised to learn that on Wed and Thurs alone, 501 people came through our DRC. I guess being busy makes the hard work not seem that hard. Tomorrow, the first day open on a weekend, we expect all the 9 to 5rs to show up.
The most memorable of today's "talks" was with a young man of 21 named "D". D has Downs Syndrome and was informed that he must move on the 1st. He was with his sister, who told me "all he wants is a bed and his TV" (he loves the cartoon channel). This talk killed me, because we are still in the intake phase and don't have the resources in place yet to direct someone to housing. D looked at me as I spoke and a tear dripped out of his eye. That was it. There was no way I could let him leave with just information and being told to wait for a letter from FEMA. His sister would not allow him to just be placed in a home far away from his home. Houston is 50 or so miles away. I didn't even know where to start. They left me and as they spoke with the other agencies in the DRC, I prayed and He answered. Using the net, I found a local disability housing agency and called them. I told the very compassionate worker D's story and she said since Ike, they have been full, with no hope for any openings. I asked here to check again and prayed hard. She came back on the line nearly giddy and said that they HAD AN OPENING FOR A HOME RIGHT HERE in BAYOU VISTA! By now, all of the other DRC workers knew Ds plight and when the saw me hang up and give the "touchdown sign", stopped what they were doing. I walked (floated) over the D and his sister and gave them the news. The whole place was cheering, both workers and clients. It was unreal. Our DRC leader told us that "this is what it's all about!"
I need sleep. Keep praying.
Friday, October 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment